Friday, 4 July 2014

Hello There Singapore!


Yesterday I arrived in this city country known as Singapore. It is still unbelievable to me that I am here. It has been a lot of work, waiting, and praying that I would get this internship. I have to admit that I thought my chances of going had already passed since it took more than a month to figure out visa information and housing, which was impeded by the lack of communication.

However, it seems like God had bigger plans in mind. It hasn't even been week since I got my visa acceptance and now I am in Singapore with everything I was worried about already taken care of. God is good and learning to wait on and trust in God has been a valuable lesson. 

Since I arrived in Singapore at midnight, I went straight to Ting's house since she is close to the airport. Then in the morning I took a taxi to my new apartment. It was different riding in it since they drive on the right side here so it was weird sitting in front without the stirring wheel on my side. It seems like taking taxis is popular here, but Ting says that the Blue and Yellow cabs are the best ones.

My roommates are nice; one is from India and two are from China. The Indian girl is here for an internship, but she leaves soon. She has been so helpful telling me about directions. The Chinese girls are studying here and one of the girls bought a durian because I haven't tried one yet. She cut it in the room, it didn't smell too bad, I guess I was expecting a horrible smell from what I heard about the fruit. The taste was a bit weird, it wasn't disgusting, but I wouldn't eat it again...

I did some exploring around the hostel. Mostly it is apartments near my place, but there are several schools. Public transportation is good since there are a lot of bus routes nearby and there is a train station a little further away. Most importantly though I found a mall and tons of places to eat at! I can't wait to try all the food that Singapore has to offer! 



Today was my first day of orientation at Robert Bosch! It took me almost two hours to find the company, but now that I know where it is I will be a lot quicker. I have to take two different train lines (the trains is called MRT) and then some walking (I got turned around a couple of times). Using the trains reminds me a lot of Japan, although they don't squeeze together as much, but there were a lot of people on them.

Ivy (I am her successor) was very nice and she showed me how to use their company software and how to perform certain tasks/functions. It was a lot to take in... Since I arrived late and Ivy is leaving they are cramming 4 days of material into 2 for me. We even had an international teleconference with computer sharing. Our trainers were located in Germany while employees from China, Korea, India joined us. We were getting tried on how to add new content or update content on the company website. It isn't going to be my main area of work. There will be another intern's job, but Shuyi (my boss) wants me to also learn so I can do it if he takes time off. There seems like a  lot of work, but I am excited for the projects I will get to work on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment