Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Discovering More of Singapore



Day 3 at the office. I am still going through orientation and I learned yesterday that I will be an intern that will be shared between two different departments (Communications, Sales and Marketing) so will be doing projects that I am not really familiar with. Not only that, but the previous intern left yesterday and my boss is leaving next week for her wedding so I will be on my own for two weeks! 

I think I will enjoy working here because my bosses and other coworkers are nice and the work culture here is pretty relaxed. The dress code is more casual and eating at your desk is totally allowed. Also, there is some flexibility with work hours. I can come as early as 7:45 and I can work 7 to 8 hours. As long as I reach 40 hours at the end of the week I am good. Also, if I work overtime I automatically get time off and since I came in Friday last week I already get a day off this month! 
Since food in Singapore is quite cheap, every day everyone goes out for lunch. So today I went with my two bosses and we had fish soup, which is a very Singaporean dish. They are kind and they are already giving me things! One will give me some clothes and the other one is going to give me bath products. haha



Yesterday, after work I went to fill out more paper work for my visa. As I was heading down the elevator I saw it!

The hotel that has that beautiful swimming pool in the picture to the left. Unfortunately, only hotel guests can swim in it and a night can cost around $400... So I probably won't be swimming there while I am here.

But since I saw it I decided to walk towards it, I was able to see the bay area and it was cool to see the part of Singapore that I imagined what the country would look like.







This is the city at night. Singapore is really nice at night since the sun is gone and it usually isn't too humid. Also since I was near water there was a wonderful breeze.


Then in the evening, some of my roommates and I were hungry so we decided to go out and eat (hardly do people cook here in Singapore. There is an over abundance of places to eat and meals here can cost from S$ 2-5). We went to eat at a out door food court which are called Hawker centers. 
I ate a dish called Laksa which is a type of Singaporean soup. It consisted of noodles, tofu, seafood, beansprouts, and rice cakes. It was good and I am happy I got to try another Singaporean dish on my list (yes I have a list! :) I will eat everything on it!)


On Sunday, I went to Ting and Abi's church. It is a bit far for me, it will be worth it to worship with other Christians and to be with friends. I met some of their friends, they all are friendly and I look forward for the friendships we will create. After the service some of us went to a nearby mall to have lunch. At lunch, one boy challenged me to find some hidden words on a S$10 bill and he said if I could find it in 10min then I could keep it. Soon everyone at the table was looking for it and everyone found it before me!... Needless to say I didn't find it in time and I was the last person to find the words. I was only able to find it because he gave me a S$50 bill and words were bigger on it. After that we got milk tea and walked around. They were all so cute since they were telling me different things about Singapore and recommending things I should try while I am here. It was a good day and I hope that there will be many more Sundays like that day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment